Yahoo! Avatars

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Thing 8

First blogs and now wikis!! When will it end? Oh it wont. We are in the day and age of technology and it keeps getting better and better. As I watched the tutorial for the wikis, I felt kindof stupid because I had no idea that this existed. I tell you I am learning so much here. I have heard of wikis, but I did not realize how simple they were to use.
Is there a wiki in my future? Well lets just say that I am going to try. Some ideas that I was thinking about would be a group unit that I do. Have the students to create a wiki and giving them a specific problem and do some problem solving within the wiki. I also thought that we could have a speech topic wiki. This could help the students to come up with different topics and then they could comment on how you could expand on that specific topic.
I really liked Schools in the Past wiki. It amazes me that even 5th graders can take a project and use technology to accomplish it. Just the fact that you can set up something and have people work on it at the same time have a finished product is awesome. The second blog that I enjoyed was The Discovery Utopias wiki. When the students had questions they would comment on each others postings. I find it so refreshing that these kids want to learn and work on a project. This wiki had collective pages that the kids did together and it also had examples of fallen utopias.
Another wiki that I looked at that I really liked and would like to use that is The Westwood wiki It had the courses along with a calendar of when assignments are due. It had a place where you could turn in your NHS hours and know Mrs. Davis' schedule. It has everything that the students need without having the teacher.

2 comments:

  1. Don't feel stupid - you are not alone. I had never created a wiki until this course either. However, they are used a ton. Love your ideas for using them in your class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouraging words. I am learning so much about things that I had no idea existed. I am going to work to become more familiar with the wikis.

    ReplyDelete